로버트 배리

Robert Barry

Now You Can Enter.

2021년 3월부터 한국에서 개최되고있는 로버트 배리의 개인전은 대구 및 서울에서 3부작으로 기획된 전시이다. “IN BETWEEN...”(3.18-5.20, 대구)를 시작으로 하여 “CLOSED GALLERY”(4.16-5.13, 서울) 그리고 “NOW YOU CAN ENTER”(5.14-6.13, 서울)을 마지막으로 마무리 짓는 이번 전시는 로버트 배리 작가의 대부분의 작업들을 시대순으로 볼 수 있도록 기획되었다.

초기 설치작업들과 퍼포먼스적인 성격의 작업, 그리고 문자 작업까지, 한 작가의 커리어 전반을 보여주는 전시를 기획하면서 로버트 배리라는 작가의 논리적 완벽성에 빠져 들수 밖에 없었다. “비물질성”과 “개념”(특히 “Incompleteness”)을 다양한 매체를 통해, 그리고 최근 회화적인 작업 속에서도 새로운 방식으로 문자에 “불완전성”(Incompleteness)를 부여하는 그의 논리적인 모습은 시각예술 작업을 통해 선을 수행하는 플라톤의 모습을 연상시킨다.

“국가론”에서 플라톤은 예술의 국가 추방을 주장한다. 예술은 모방의 모방이 였기에 모방술에 불과하고, 모방이 일어나면서 잘못된 진리가 발생하게되고 그것이 사회에 해를 입히기 때문이다. 하지만 플라톤은 진,선,미 개념을 언급하며, 진리와 선의 시각적인 구현이 “미”라고 주장하였고, “티마이오스”편에서는 그것의 제작 가능성에 대해서 언급하기도 한다.
어떠한 시각적인 대상의 모방이 아닌, 작가의 개념의 재현으로서 시각예술을 논리적으로 진행해온 로버트 배리 작업을 볼때 마다 플라톤에게 이작업을 보여준다면, 어떤 의견을 보일지 항상 상상하곤한다.

이러한 논리적인 모습에 푹 빠져 최근 로버트 배리작가에게 매우 우문을 던졌다. 다양한 방식으로 문자에 “불완전성”을 부여 하는 것은 이해하였지만, 작품에 컬러를 쓰는 이유는 무엇인가, 그리고 색이 작가에게 가지는 의미는 무엇인가?
이러한 우문에 로버트 배리 작가는 매우 크게 웃으며, “흰색 종이위에 쓰인 검은 글씨도 컬러가 아닌가?”라는 답변과 함께 “컬러는 나의 작품과 작품을 구분해 주는 요소이기도 하지만, 시각예술가로서 본인은 색에 이끌린다는” 현답을 주었다. 예술은 철학이 아니다. 개념미술이 작가의 개념, 즉 이성을 중요시 하지만, 결국 예술은 이성과 감성의 조화를 통해 이루어 지는 것이다. 1960년대 로버트 배리와 함께 개념미술 중심에 있었던 다른 작가들에 대한 비판적 지점 또한 그것이였지만, 배리 작업들을 볼때 느껴지는 이성과 감성의 조화 또한 작가의 생애가 관람자에게 전달 되는 것은 아닌가는 생각이 든다.

로버트 배리는 “비물질성”과 “불완전성”이라는 개념을 평생에 걸쳐 일관적으로 수행해온 작가이다. 하지만 그가 “개념미술”을 시작하면서 기치로 내건 또다른 가치는 “반체제”, 그리고 ”반자본”이다.
1969년 “CLOSED GALLERY”를 진행한 로버트 배리는 너무나 소박한 컬렉터였던 보겔 부부에게 “CLOSED GALLEY”를 250불에 판매한다. 그리고 그는 이것을 통해 시각예술이 상업체제에서 벋어나는 것은 무의미 하다는 것을 깨달았다는 이야기를 한다.
더글라스 휴블러, 조셉 코수스, 그리고 로렌스 바이너와 함께 이러한 가치로 1969년의 전시를 시작하였지만, 아직까지도 작가 주도적으로 “반시장”적인 가치를 추구하는 작가는 누구인가? 라고 자문해보면, 본인 스스로의 작품가격을 매우 낮은 가격으로 제시하는 로버트 배리의 모습이 떠오른다.

21세기에 들어 “상업예술”시장이 공고해진 후, 작품의 가치평가는 작품 본연의 예술적 가치로서 평가되는 것이 아니라 비정상적인 가격결정구조에 의해 결정되어지고, “새로운 경매가 갱신”이 미술계의 중요한 이슈가 되어버린 현시점에 있어서 로버트배리와 같은 작가가 아직도 생존해 있으며, 그가 자신의 가치를 여전히 실현 중이라는 것은 큰 의미를 지닌다.

우리는 이번 세 전시를 통해 한국 미술 애호가들이 무언가를 얻어가길 바란다.

“1960년대 말 이후 미술은 아름다움보다는 앎을 택했다”라는 말 처럼, 이번 3부작 전시를 통해 이성과 감성을 조화, 반 시장적인 가치 그리고 그 이상의 어떤 개인적인 “불완전성”을 찾아갈 수 있기를 바란다.

“IN BETWEEN...” “CLOSED GALLERY” and “NOW YOU CAN ENTER”, What do you encounter?

이준엽, Assistant Director, Gallery Shilla.

English

Robert Barry's solo exhibition, which has been held in Korea since March 2021, is an exhibition planned as a trilogy in Daegu and Seoul. This exhibition starts with “IN BETWEEN...” (3.18-5.20, Daegu) and concludes with “CLOSED GALLERY” (4.16-5.13, Seoul) and “NOW YOU CAN ENTER” (5.14-6.13, Seoul). is planned so that most of Robert Barry's works can be viewed in chronological order.

While planning an exhibition that showed the entire career of an artist, from early installation works to performance-type works and text works, I couldn't help but fall in love with the logical perfection of an artist named Robert Barry. Through various media, “immateriality” and “concept” (especially “incompleteness”), and in his recent pictorial work, his logical appearance of giving “incompleteness” to letters in a new way is a visual artwork. It is reminiscent of Plato's image of doing good.

In “Poliiteiā,” Platon argues for the expulsion of art from the state. Because art is an imitation of imitation, it is nothing more than imitation, and when imitation occurs, false truths arise, which harm society. However, Plato mentions the concepts of truth, goodness, and beauty, insisting that the visual realization of truth and goodness is “beauty,” and in “Timaeus,” he also mentions the possibility of making it.
Whenever I see the work of Robert Barry, who has logically progressed in visual art not as an imitation of any visual object, but as a reproduction of the artist's concept, I always imagine what his opinion would be if I showed this work to Platon.

I fell in love with this logical look and recently threw a very good question at the author Robert Barry. I understand that there are various ways to give “incompleteness” to characters, but what is the reason for using color in a work, and what meaning does color have for the artist? Author Robert Barry laughed very loudly at these rumors and answered, “Isn’t the black text written on white paper also a color?” “Color is also a factor that distinguishes my works from each other, but as a visual artist, I am not interested in color. He gave the wise answer. Art is not philosophy. Conceptual art emphasizes the artist's concept, that is, reason, but in the end, art is achieved through the harmony of reason and emotion. It was also a critical point for other artists who were at the center of conceptual art along with Robert Barry in the 1960s, but I wonder if the harmony of reason and emotion felt when looking at Barry's works also conveys the artist's life to the viewer.

Robert Barry is an artist who has consistently practiced the concepts of “immateriality” and “incompleteness” throughout his life. However, another value he raised as a banner when he started “conceptual art” was “anti-establishment” and “anti-capitalist”.

Robert Barry, who hosted the “CLOSED GALLERY” in 1969, sells “CLOSED GALLEY” for $250 to the Vogel couple, who were very simple collectors. And he tells the story of realizing that it is meaningless for visual arts to break away from the commercial system through this. With Douglas Huebler, Joseph Kosuth, and Lawrence Viner, he started the exhibition in 1969 with these values, but who is the artist who still pursues “anti-market” values? If you ask yourself, the image of Robert Barry, who offers the price of his own work at a very low price, comes to mind.

After the “commercial art” market has been solidified in the 21st century, the valuation of works is not evaluated based on their original artistic value, but is determined by an abnormal pricing structure, and “renewal of new auction prices” is an important issue in the art world. It is of great significance that an artist like Robert Barry is still alive and that he is still realizing his value.

We hope that Korean art lovers will gain something from these three exhibitions.

As the saying goes, “Art has chosen knowledge rather than beauty since the late 1960s,” I hope that through this three-part exhibition, you will be able to find a harmony between reason and emotion, anti-market value, and a certain personal “imperfection” beyond that.

“IN BETWEEN...” “CLOSED GALLERY” and “NOW YOU CAN ENTER”, What do you encounter?

Junyeop Lee, Assistant Director, Gallery Shilla.