마루야마 토미유키

Tomiyuki Maruyama

토미유끼 마루야마 Tomiyuki Maruyama 의 개인전이 2006.11.10(금)~11.30(목)까지 갤러리신라에서 개최됩니다. 토미유끼 마루야마Tomiyuki Maruyama 는 동경예술대학을 졸업하고 日本에서 왕성한 활동을 하는 조각가로써 국내에는 처음 개최되는 전시입니다.

이번 전시 첫 번째 의미는 「형태」이다. 1986년부터 돌연 L자형이 나온 이래 형태는 그다지 변하지 않았다. 어떤 형태를 가진 (사)물이 존재하고 있는 본연의 자세, 물과 물이 놓여진 지면과 물 주위의 공기와 기척, 이러한 것에 흥미를 많이 느꼈다. 그리고 나서 한참 뒤에는 표면을 의식하게 되었다. 한번은 돌을 깎고 있다가 점점 얇아진 적이 있었는데 그 때는 만들기 전에 엄밀히 형태를 정하지 않고 만들어 가면서 느낌이 딱 오는 때를 기다리는 식이었기 때문에 깎아내는 중에 그렇게 된 것이었다. 그러면서 계속 깎아내고 있었더니 언제 깨질지도 모르는 위험한 상태까지 얇게 되었다. 그렇게 하면 정(끌)이 점점 옆으로 누우면서 돌 표면을 옆으로 전해져 가게 되는 것이다. 그 때 돌의 중심을 향한 정의 힘을 돌이 반대편에서 밀어내는 것처럼 느껴졌다. 그렇게 해서 돌은 돌 자체의 힘으로 풍만한 표면을 드러낸다고 생각하게 되었다.

그 다음에 부여되는 의미는 「공간」이다. 닫혀진 형태의 작품에서는 그 작품과 내가 동일한 공간에 있고 그래서 상당히 근접하였다고 하더라도 서로가 제 각기의 공간을 소유하고 대립하는 듯 하다. 그러나 열린 형태의 작품에서는 그 작품이 품은 공간에 내가 안겨있는 듯한 느낌을 받게 된다. 작품을 밖에서 보던가 내부에 들어가던가 하는 것이다. L자형을 만들기 시작하면서 작품은 잠시 작은 것들로 만들어 졌다. 양손으로 만지작거릴 수 있을 정도의 물과 관계하는 것이 물과 나의 관계를 맺는데 적당하다고 생각했고 물이 크고 중량이 보이는 것이 거추장스럽다고 느껴졌기 때문이다. 하지만 형태가 아니라 공간을 찾아낸다는 감각을 갖고 나서 더욱 큰 공간에 안겨있고 싶은 마음에 작품은 점점 커져갔고 이번의 신작은 지금까지 만든 것 중에 가장 큰 작품이 되었다. 작품은 나와 동일한 공간에 존재하고 있기에 대립하지 않고 더욱 친밀한 관계를 맺어도 될 것이란 생각되었다. 이 크기의 돌이면 내 신체의 크기로는 돌 안으로 들어가지 않으면 깎을 수 없다. 그러므로 실제 돌 안에 안겨진 채 돌 표면을 따라 돌고 있는 셈이 된다. - 작가노트 중

이번 갤러리 신라에서 선보일 작가의 작품세계를 느낄 수 있는 작품들은 약 12점 정도 전시됩니다.

English

Tomiyuki Maruyama's solo exhibition will be held at Gallery Shilla from November 10 (Fri) to November 30 (Thu), 2006. Tomiyuki Maruyama, a sculptor who graduated from Tokyo University of the Arts and is active in Japan, is the first exhibition to be held in Korea.

The first meaning of this exhibition is 「Form」. Since 1986, when the L shape suddenly appeared, the shape has not changed much. I was very interested in the nature of (four)water in a certain form, the water, the ground on which it is placed, and the air and signs around it. Then, after a while, I became conscious of the surface. There was one time when I was cutting a stone and it got thinner and thinner. At that time, I didn't strictly decide the shape before making it, but I waited for the right feeling while making it, so it happened while I was craving it. Then, as I continued to cut it, it became thin to the point where it could break at any moment. If you do that, the chisel will gradually lie sideways and pass the surface of the stone to the side. At that time, it felt as if the stone was pushing the force of justice toward the center of the stone from the other side. That's how I came to think that stones reveal a voluptuous surface with the power of the stone itself.

The meaning given next is “space”. In the closed form of the work, the work and I are in the same space, so even though they are quite close, they seem to have their own space and oppose each other. However, in the open form of the work, I feel as if I am being embraced by the space that the work embraces. It is whether you look at the work from the outside or go inside. As I started making the L-shape, the work was made of small things for a while. It was because I thought that having a relationship with water that I could fiddle with both hands was appropriate for my relationship with water, and that it was cumbersome to see how large and heavy the water was. However, after having a sense of finding a space, not a form, the work grew bigger and bigger with the desire to be embraced in a larger space, and this new work became the largest work ever made. Since the work exists in the same space as mine, I thought it would be possible to form a more intimate relationship without confrontation. With a stone of this size, I can't cut it unless I get inside the stone with the size of my body. Therefore, it is like walking along the surface of the stone while being held inside the actual stone. - Among the artist's notes

About 12 pieces of works that can feel the artist's world of art will be exhibited at Gallery Shilla